Are you ready to start practicing yoga, but not quite sure where and how to get started? VASA Fitness offers yoga classes for all levels. So, if you are a beginner, don’t worry! I’ve got you covered. Keep reading until you feel comfortable entering your first class.
The Basics: What is Yoga?
Yoga is an ancient practice that focuses on breathing, flexibility, and strength to promote mental and physical health. It consists of a set of physical, mental, and spiritual practices or disciplines. The main components of yoga? Breathing and standing, or a series of movements designed to increase strength and flexibility. This practice originated thousands of years ago in India and has since been adapted in different countries. Yoga was first introduced in the United States in 1863, but it wasn’t until the 1930s that it became part of mainstream American culture. According to the Shri Yogendra Museum of Classical Yoga, “When people say they are going to attend a yoga class, they generally mean an asana class. However, asana is a small part of yoga, while yoga is the comprehensive whole, including the body-psyche-mind- Thought – Soul.” And in today’s chaotic world, the number of people who practice yoga globally has risen exponentially. So, whichever practice you choose, one aspect of yoga is almost guaranteed: you’ll leave the mat with more clarity, calmness, and a sense of peace.
The 411: What are the health benefits of yoga?
What happens when we master Poses down like a dog or a tree? These days, athletes of all types are incorporating yoga into their training routine. According to Johns Hopkins Medicine, the top nine health benefits of yoga are:
- Improves strength, balance and flexibility.
- Yoga helps with back pain.
- It can relieve symptoms of arthritis.
- Yoga is good for heart health.
- Get ready to relax and sleep better.
- Expect more energy and brighter moods (and who doesn’t want both!)
- Yoga helps relieve stress.
- Connects you to a supportive community.
- Yoga raises your level of self-care.
From the mat to mental health: How yoga can relax your mind
What are the main benefits of yoga? mental strength. Certainly, it is widely known that yoga can fight anxiety and depression. But what’s more, according to Harvard Health Publishing, “When you lift weights, your muscles get stronger and bigger. When you practice yoga, your brain cells develop new connections, and changes occur in brain structure and function, leading to improved cognitive skills, such as learning and memory.” Yoga strengthens the parts of the brain that play a major role in memory, attention, awareness, thought, and language. Think of it as lifting weights for the brain.” Yes please!
Log Me: Yoga for Beginners.
The beauty of yoga for beginners? Anyone can start! Here’s what to know before that first grade.
- All you need is a yoga mat, a water bottle and loose yoga clothing. Consider bringing a towel in case you get a little sweaty.
- Look for a class geared toward beginners. VASA yoga classes are designed for all levels of fitness and experience. Our teachers offer waiting lists, adjustments, and adjustments that will help you feel comfortable and confident every time you enter class.
- Before class, introduce yourself to the teacher and tell them that this is your first time. They will make sure that you are ready for success before class starts and can give you extra attention during class to make sure you know what you’re doing.
- Practice, practice, practice. The more you go to class, the more relaxed and confident you will feel. There is always something to learn, but once you get used to it, you will be able to try out more challenging poses and changes.
Interested in reviewing one of our classes? Get a free trial pass here. Happy yoga!