This low-carb spinach and mozzarella bake contains spinach, mozzarella, green onions, and enough eggs to hold it together! This simple egg bread has only 2 net carbs per serving and is one of the most popular breakfast recipes on the blog!
Bake the spinach and eggs with mozzarella for later.
That’s simple Spinach and Egg Mozzarella Bread It uses spinach, eggs, green onions, and mozzarella cheese, and has been very popular on the blog for years. I think it’s from people who buy those big tubs of spinach at Costco and then Google “what can you make with spinach and eggs?”
And although it was very popular, for years I wanted to improve the pictures for this recipe. When we finally decided to take new photos, I found out I didn’t have the baking dish size I used for the recipe anymore, so we upgraded this recipe to now eight servings. But if you prefer the original version that uses a slightly smaller plate and serves six servings, you can still find that here.
We made a real effort to match the old photos, because this recipe has so many fans! If you’re someone who makes a regular breakfast casserole with spinach and mozzarella, what do you think? Do you still recognize him in these new and improved photos?
We made this two weeks in a row for new photos that we thought captured the dish, Cara and I ate it every time, and were happy to heat up leftovers for breakfast for a few days in a row. If you are a fan of spinach, or just want to start your day with a healthy breakfast, I hope you give this a try!
What components do you need?
- fresh spinach
- olive oil
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- green onion
- Spike seasoning (affiliate link), or use any all-purpose seasoning mix that goes well with eggs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
What is egg bread?
This recipe is a type of breakfast casserole I started calling egg bread a few years ago. What that title means is that this Spinach and Mozzarella Egg Bread has plenty of spinach and cheese, and barely enough eggs to hold them together.
Are spinach and eggs a healthy combination?
No matter what type of healthy eating plan you follow, spinach and eggs are healthy ingredients! Spinach (and other leafy greens) contain more nutrients than almost any other food, and eggs are packed with protein. You can also make this with liquid egg products or using more egg whites than egg yolks if that works for you.
What if you’re not a fan of mozzarella cheese?
If you are not a fan of the very light flavor of mozzarella, you can definitely use another white cheese in this recipe such as white cheddar, Monterey Jack, or Swiss.
Want more low carb and keto breakfast casseroles?
paying off Low-carb and keto breakfast casserole your family will love For more egg bake or breakfast casserole like this one.
How to make spinach and mozzarella bread with eggs:
(Scroll down for a full, printable recipe with nutritional information.)
- Preheat oven to 375°F/190°C and spray a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- I used 12 oz. of organic spinach for updated recipe. Heat the oil in a large skillet and add the spinach all at once.
- Flip the spinach over and over and cook the spinach until completely wilted, just a few minutes.
- Then spread the withered spinach in a layer on the bottom of the casserole.
- Spread a rich layer of cheese over the spinach, then add the green onions!
- Season with Spike Seasoning and some freshly ground black pepper. (You can add salt if you like, but the spike has salt so we didn’t add more.)
- Pour the scrambled eggs over the spinach and cheese.
- Then use a fork to “stir” the mixture until the spinach, eggs, and cheese are well blended.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until mixture is firm and light brown.
- Serve hot or cut into portions to keep in the fridge and microwave for a minute or two for a quick and delicious breakfast!
More baked egg recipes:
Roasted eggs with asparagus and parmesan cheese
Sausage, mushroom, feta baked with eggs
Broccoli, mushroom, ham and cheddar baked with eggs
Weekend food preparation:
This recipe has been added to a category called Prepare food on the weekend Here you will find recipes that you can prepare or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
12 oz. Organic fresh spinach
2 tsp. olive oil
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup finely chopped green onion
12 scrambled eggs
2 tsp. Spike seasoning (or use any all-purpose seasoning mix that’s good with eggs)
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375°F / 190°C. Spray a 9″ by 13″ glass casserole or crockery dish with olive oil or nonstick spray.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet, add the spinach all at once, and stir until the spinach wilts, 2 minutes.
- Transfer the spinach to the casserole and spread to cover the entire bottom of the dish.
- Place a layer of grated cheese and sliced onions on top of the spinach.
- Season with Spike Seasoning (continued link) and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Beat eggs until well blended.
- Pour the eggs over the spinach/cheese mixture, then use a fork to “flip” gently until the eggs, spinach, and cheese are combined.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until mixture is completely cooked through and begins to turn light brown. Let it cool about 5 minutes before slicing.
- Egg bread will soften slightly as it cools. Serve hot.
- They can be cut into individual servings to keep in the fridge and cooked in the microwave for a quick breakfast during the week. Do not use the microwave for longer than 1-2 minutes, or the eggs may become a little rubbery.
This goes well with sour cream. I also like a little green tabasco sauce Sprinkle on top.
Recipe prepared by Kalyn.
Amount per service:
Calories: 214Total fat: 15 gramsSaturated fat: 6 gramsUnsaturated fats: 0 gramsUnsaturated fats: 7 gramsCholesterol: 301 mgsodium: 697 mgcarbohydrates: 3 gramsthe basic: 1 gramsugar: 1 gramprotein: 17 grams
Nutrition information is calculated automatically by the Recipe Plug-In I’m using. I am not a dietitian and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, as many variables affect these calculations.
Low Carb Diet / Low Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Spinach and Mozzarella Egg Bake is a great recipe for any other low carb eating plan including Keto, and followers of the low carb or keto diet will use full fat cheese for this and won’t mind eating more cheese! However, it is important to use low-fat mozzarella if you are making it for the original South Beach Diet. With that caution, this recipe will be appropriate for all phases of South Beach.
Find more recipes like these:
Uses breakfast recipes To find more recipes like these. use the Diet type indicator To find recipes suitable for a particular food plan. You may also like to check out Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest or in Facebook To see all the good recipes I share there.
Historical notes for this recipe:
Published in 2012, this recipe was very popular on the blog for such a simple dish. Recently updated with more information and better pictures in 2022.
We are participants in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliate sites. As an Amazon member, I earn from eligible purchases.
Discussion about this post