Slow cooker beef is something I’ve been making for years for a St. Patrick’s Day treat, and I love eating it with a creamy horseradish sauce! You can cook some cabbage and carrots with the beef, or skip the carrots if you want to cut back on carbs.
Slow-cooker steak to try later!
Corned Beef slow cooker It’s something I love to do on St. Patrick’s Day every year! And whether you’re making crockpot beef or in a quick bowl I think it’s fun to make a great Irish American dish this holiday.
For many years, I made it for my little Irish dad, who would definitely enjoy beef any time of the year. But I also think this is a treat for any easy dinner, so today I’m reminding you of this my favorite dish Friday favorite Pick or pick!
If you live in the United States, most packages of corned beef come with a seasoning packet, but if you don’t have one, this recipe will tell you which seasonings to use. Beef is easy to cook, but be careful not to overcook the vegetables.
You can also use the slow cooker to prepare corned beef Roasted cabbage with lemon To use it for a slightly different twist on low-carb beef and cabbage. And personally, I’ve never had a drizzle of a creamy horseradish sauce when I eat beef!
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
What is beef?
Corned beef is roast beef, usually breast meat, that has been treated with salt to soften and preserve. And did you know that Corned Beef is not actually a traditional Irish food, but something that the Irish started eating when they came to America. Here is more about Corned Beef and Why It’s So Popular on St. Patrick’s Day.
How long should you cook beef in the slow cooker?
If you’re going to add vegetables, I’ll start checking the beef after about 5 hours at least. But slow cookers vary greatly in how hot they get, so your timing may vary. You want the corn beef to be tender when you take it out of the slow cooker.
What size slow cooker did you use?
I used a file 5-quart slow cooker (affiliate link) for this recipe, but a larger slow cooker egg white would also be ideal, especially if you like a lot of veggies cooked with the beef.
Want more ideas for cooking beef or using leftovers?
For more tips on cooking beef or recipes from all over the web with leftover beef, check out Low carb keto beef recipes.
How to make a slow cooker beef:
(Scroll down for the full printable recipe including nutritional information.)
- Trim the fat from the beef as you prefer. Cut the beef to fit your slow cooker if necessary.
- Spray a slow cooker with nonstick spray if desired, and top with the beef and onions.
- Most corned beef has seasoning packets, and I use these in addition to extra garlic, whole cloves, bay leaf, whole peppercorns, and allspice berries.
- Add water to just cover the meat.
- Simmer the cooked beef for about 5 hours, or until cooked enough to easily pierce with a fork.
- While the corned beef is cooking, peel the carrots and chop into diagonal pieces.
- Cut a large head of green cabbage into quarters.
- Add the carrots first and cook for 20-30 minutes, depending on how thick you want the carrots to be.
- Then add the cabbage pieces and cook for another 20-30 minutes.
- I like the veggies on the crunchy side, so I cooked the carrots for 20 minutes, added the cabbage and cooked for another 20 minutes. (Slow cook time may vary, test with a fork to see when vegetables are done.)
- If you’re making a creamy horseradish sauce, whisk together the sour cream, mayonnaise, and creamy horseradish. Personally, I wouldn’t give up on the sauce!
- Serve the corned beef hot slow for a great Irish American meal that definitely tastes good, especially if you only eat it once a year!
Make it a low carb meal:
For a low carb dinner, it will taste great with Cauliflower mashed with garlic, parmesan cheese and goat cheese And you can add Roasted cabbage with lemon If you do not want to cook cabbage in the slow cooker. And if you have some extra beef, check out my ideas Beef leftovers!
More beef recipes
Low carb keto beef recipes ~ Calin’s Kitchen
Best slow cooker recipes ~ slow cooker or pressure cooker
The best instant beef recipes ~ slow cooker or pressure cooker
Leftover Corned Beef Low Carb Baked ~ Calin’s Kitchen
Fried Beef Cabbage ~ Calin’s Kitchen
Leftover beef soup ~ Calin’s Kitchen
Weekend food preparation:
This recipe has been added to a category called Prepare food on the weekend To help you find recipes to make or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
1 pound beef tenderloin (flat cut preferred, see notes)
2 bay leaves
1 head of garlic
3 whole cloves
5 grains of allspice or allspice, ground
1 whole onion
1 large head of cabbage, cut into 4 pieces
8 small carrots (optional)
Radish sauce ingredients
1/3 cup sour cream
1/3 cup mayonnaise
2 T radish, cream style, or more to taste
- Most corned beef has a thick layer of fat on one side. I cut most of it off before cooking; But reduce the fat as much as you prefer.
- Cut the beef in half to fit the slow cooker if necessary.
- Spray the slow cooker with nonstick spray if desired, and place the corned beef in the slow cooker with the quartered onions.
- Most corned beef comes with a seasoning packet, and I like to use it in addition to extra garlic, whole cloves, bay leaf, whole pepper, and allspice berries. Use your favorite spices or spices.
- Then add enough water to just barely cover the meat.
- Simmer the cooked beef for about 5 hours, or until the meat is cooked enough to easily pierce with a fork.
- While the beef is cooking, peel the carrots and cut them into diagonal pieces, cut the thicker carrots in half lengthwise as well as all the carrots the same thickness.
- Cut a large head of green cabbage into quarters. (One reader taught me the trick of leaving the pulp on the cabbage so it holds together; then you can cut that away when you serve it.)
- When the beef is tender with a fork, add the carrots first and cook for 20-30 minutes, depending on how thick you want the carrots to be.
- Then add the cabbage pieces and cook for another 20-30 minutes.
- I like the veggies on the crunchy side, so I cooked the carrots for 20 minutes, added the cabbage and cooked them for another 20 minutes. Slow cooker time may vary, test with a fork to see when vegetables are done.
- If you’re making a creamy horseradish sauce, whisk together the sour cream, mayonnaise, and creamy horseradish. Personally, I wouldn’t skip the sauce if I’m making beef!
- Serve the corned beef slow hot!
You can cook beef anywhere weighing 3-5 pounds by following these instructions.
The nutritional information does not include horseradish sauce. If you exclude carrots, the amount of carbohydrates will be 3.8 less carbohydrates per serving.
This recipe is adapted from How do you cook everything? (affiliate link
Amount per service:
Calories: 710Total fat: 43 gramsSaturated fat: 14 gramsUnsaturated fats: 22.7 gCholesterol: 222 mgsodium: 2238 mgcarbohydrates: 13 gramsthe basic: 3.7 gsugar: 3.8 gramsprotein: 43 grams
Nutrition information is calculated automatically by the Recipe Plug-In I’m using. I am not a dietitian and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, as many variables affect these calculations.
Low Carb Diet / Low Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Beef and cabbage (without the carrots) would be great for most low-carb eating plans. Corned beef is not approved for the original South Beach system, so this slow-cooked beef is a once-a-year treat if you’re following this plan. This may be a complete meal by itself, but if you are cooking for the family, you may want to cook potatoes with other vegetables.
Find more recipes like these:
Uses slow cooker recipes Find more recipes like this Diet type indicator To find more recipes suitable for a particular food plan. You may also like Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest To see all the good recipes I share there. Click for slow cooker/pressure cooker recipes on my other site!
Historical notes for this recipe:
I first published this Slow Cooker Corned Beef in 2007, and the recipe has been improved many times since then. It was last updated in 2022 with more information.
We are participants in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliate sites. As an Amazon member, I earn from eligible purchases.
Discussion about this post