Slow-cooker chicken fajitas are an easy dinner idea and with low-carb tortillas or cauliflower rice, this is a delicious low-carb meal! And Crockpot fajitas can be cooked in just a few hours, and they’re great to make in the summer when you don’t want to turn on the stove.
I got this recipe for Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas From a blog called MomFood, written by a blogger named C. Jones, who kindly agreed to let me repost it here. That blog disappeared shortly after I got the recipe, although some time later C. Jones left a comment on the original post.
At the time she was still reading Kalyn’s Kitchen, so if she’s still reading now I hope she’s pleased to see that I still enjoy this chicken fajitas recipe, and recently I made fajitas in the crock pot and took some pictures. Of course, I know that chicken fajitas made in the slow cooker aren’t really fajitas like those that come on a hot plate at a restaurant, but this recipe is still super tasty even without the sizzling fajita.
These easy-to-prepare chicken fajitas are delicious any time of year, but I especially love making this for Cinco de Mayo or in the summer months, because this is an easy recipe and using the slow cooker will keep your kitchen cool.
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
(This is a list of ingredients only; please scroll down for the full printable recipe. OR if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the full recipe.)
What do I serve with slow-cooked chicken fajitas?
Delicious grilled chicken and vegetables are served totortilla low-carb Or more Cauliflower riceAnd But truthfully, rice or tortillas are completely optional for the crock-pot fajitas. I often eat this piled on a plate with melted cheese, salsa, and a dollop of sour cream. some Guacamole from Cilantro-Lover’s Would be great with her too, but unfortunately didn’t have any of that on hand for the photo!
Can slow-cooker chicken fajitas work with keto?
You can easily make this recipe Keto-friendly by simply serving the chicken and veggies on a plate topped with melted cheese. I’ve eaten it this way many times and always enjoyed it! This variation would also be gluten free.
What size slow cooker did you use?
I used a file 3.5 liter slow cooker (affiliate link) to this recipe, but as you can see it was quite filling and would work in a larger slow cooker for sure.
Want another way to make chicken fajitas?
If you want another option for cooking chicken fajitas, see my recipe Chicken fajitaAnd he’s a winner too!
How to make slow cooker chicken fajita:
(This is just a summary of the recipe steps; please scroll down for the full printable recipe. OR if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the full recipe.)
- Place the shredded chicken breasts, onion slices, green pepper slices, and red pepper slices in a slow cooker.
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice over chicken and vegetables.
- Combine chili powder, cumin, salt, and chicken stock and pour over.
- Cook 3-4 hours on high or 6-7 hours on low.
- Serve the slow-cooked chicken fajitas hot with one or more low-carb tortillas Easy cauliflower rice for a low-carb meal.
- Or just serve chicken, veggies, and melted cheese on a plate for keto.
More chicken in the slow cooker:
2 lbs. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts (see notes)
1 onion, thinly sliced (I use red onion)
1 red bell pepper, cut into semicircles
1 green bell pepper, cut into semicircles
2 teaspoons of chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chicken broth (see notes)
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (more or less to taste)
Flour tortilla (I use low-carb tortillas)
Shredded cheese (I use a Mexican four cheese blend)
(Lettuce and tomato can also be added.)
- Trim all visible fat and tendons from the chicken breast, and cut the chicken into 1-inch crosswise slices.
- Add the chicken to the steamer pressure cooker
- Cut both ends of the onion, then peel and cut from the top half to the bouton and cut into semicircular slices.
- Add the onions to the crock.
- Cut off ends from red and green peppers, cut in half from top to bottom, remove seeds and membranes, and cut into semicircular slices. (Cut off the stem and bottom end, too.)
- Add the bell pepper to the cooking pot.
- Drizzle the lemon juice over the chicken, onions, and peppers in the crock.
- In a small bowl, mix the chili powder, cumin, and salt into the chicken broth (I used Homemade chicken broth).
- Pour over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 6-7 hours or on high heat for 3-4 hours, or until tender. (I usually cook about 3 hours on high.)
- Pour chicken and vegetables into warm tortillas (I use Low-carb tortillas) and provided with toppings. This would be great with The perfect Guacamole for the Cilantro-Lover.
- This is also delicious served just on a plate, with the cheese melted and other toppings added.
You need about 4 large chicken breasts to make six servings.
I used homemade chicken broth but canned chicken broth or chicken broth from carton will work just fine for this recipe.
Nutritional information does not include optional toppings or low-carb tortillas.
The recipe is originally from Mom Food, a blog that no longer exists.
Amount per service:
Calories: 273Total fat: 5.8 gramsSaturated fat: 1.6 gramsUnsaturated fats: 0 gramsUnsaturated fats: 3.3 gramsCholesterol: 129 mgsodium: 305 mgcarbohydrates: 5.3 gramsFiber: 1 gramsugar: 2.4 gramsprotein: 48 grams
Nutrition info is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I’m using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, as many variables affect these calculations.
Low Carb Diet / Low Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
If you’re serving slow-cooked chicken fajitas with… Low-carb tortillas Or more Cauliflower riceIt can be a low carb meal. If you serve this with a low-carb or whole-wheat tortilla, it would make a great meal for Phase 2 or 3 of the Original South Beach Diet. Just eat chicken and veggies topped with some cheese without the tortillas or rice for a low-carb or keto meal.
Find more recipes like these:
Uses Slow cooker recipes Find more recipes like these! Use the Diet type indicator To find recipes suitable for a particular food plan. You may also like to follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on PinterestAnd in FacebookAnd on instagramAnd on TikTokor on YouTube See all the good recipes I share there.
Historical notes for this recipe:
Slow-Cooker Chicken Fajitas was first published in 2005 and updated with photos in 2009. The recipe was most recently updated with more information in 2023.
We are participating in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliate sites. As an Amazon member, I earn on qualifying purchases.