This delicious Sausage Lentil Soup with Spinach also contains carrots, celery, garlic, spices, canned tomatoes, and cauliflower rice! And please don’t worry about the lentils, because this soup only has 7 net carbs per serving!
Lentil soup with sausage and spinach to try later!
Made years ago Lentil soup, sausage, brown rice and spinach In the slow cooker the day my brother Rand happened to be in Utah for my dad’s 85th birthday party. Rand always likes to try my cooking experiments when he visits, and he loved this soup so much that when he got home he asked if he could get the recipe before posting it on the blog. And I think the original version of this soup is still something he enjoys making.
I have now adapted this old soup recipe into this new recipe Lentil sausage soup with spinachAnd if you use the link above to see the original recipe, you can probably see why I wanted to make a low-carb soup with the same flavors! For the new soup recipe, I used more sausage, substituted brown rice for cauliflower rice, and used less spinach. I also switched this into soup on the stovetop, so it used more chicken broth than the original soup, and these changes reduced the carbs to 7 net carbs per serving!
This is a relatively tall soup for a stovetop recipe, but I encourage you to bring the soup to a simmer and let it make your house smell great! If you love making soup in the crockpot, you can also use the original slow cooker instructions linked above and adapt this new low-carb recipe to make in the slow cooker if you prefer.
What ingredients do you need?
(This is a list of ingredients only; please scroll down for the full printable recipe. OR if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the full recipe.)
- olive oil (affiliate link)
- minced garlic (affiliate link)
- Dried thyme (affiliate link)
- Spike seasoning (affiliate link)
- chicken or turkey sausage
- Small tomato cubes
- Chicken broth
- brown lentils
- red lentils (affiliate link)
- Salt and Pepper
- Frozen cauliflower rice
- fresh spinach
- balsamic vinegar (affiliate link)
- Parmesan cheese added to the table (optional)
What sausage did we use in spinach sausage soup?
Some turkey or chicken sausages contain sugar, so watch out for that if you don’t want extra carbs. We use Jenni-O Hardwood Smoked Turkey Kielbasa with only 1 carb per serving.
What if you don’t have balsamic vinegar?
If you don’t have balsamic vinegar, you can use red wine vinegar in this soup. I might use a little less and taste to see if you want the full amount.
How can you make this soup lower in carbs?
If you want a lower-carb type of soup, swap out the carrots for more celery, swap the lentils for another cup of cauliflower rice, and swap the balsamic vinegar for red wine vinegar. It will still be delicious if you use savory sausage!
How to make lentil soup with sausage:
(This is just a summary of the recipe steps; please scroll down for the full printable recipe. OR if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, you will be taken directly to the full recipe.)
- We used Jenni-O smoked turkey sausage. Cut into small portions.
- Chop onions, carrots and celery into small pieces,
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a heavy, large saucepan and cook the vegetables for 2 minutes. Add garlic and dried spices and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the sausage pieces and cook about 3 more minutes.
- Measure out the lentils and add them to the pot along with the canned tomatoes along with their juice, chicken broth, salt, and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Cook over low heat for an hour or until the lentils are tender.
- Then add cauliflower rice) and cook for 30 minutes.
- Chop the spinach if necessary, baby spinach won’t need to be chopped very often.
- Add spinach and cook for another 20-30 minutes.
- Then add 2 Tbsp of balsamic vinegar, cook for another 5 minutes and serve hot.
- This is especially good with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese if desired.
More low-carb soups with sausage:
Weekend meal prep:
This recipe has been added to a category called Weekend food preparation To help you find recipes you can make or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
1 small onion
1 carrot, cut into very small cubes
2 stalks celery, diced very small
1 ton of olive oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic (from a jar, use less if the garlic is fresh)
1 tsp. Dried thyme
Teaspoon. Spike seasoning 2
14 oz. Pre-cooked chicken or turkey sausage
one 14.5 oz. Small tomatoes can dice
8 cups chicken broth (see notes)
1/2 cup brown lentils
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup cauliflower rice
5 oz. Chopped fresh spinach
2 liters of balsamic vinegar
Parmesan cheese added to the table (optional)
- Cut the sausage into 1/4- to 1/2-inch-wide pieces.
- Cut the onions, carrots and celery into small pieces.
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy soup pot, add the vegetables and sauté until softened, about 2 minutes.
- Add garlic, thyme, and spike seasoning and cook 2 minutes.
- Then add the sausage pieces and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add the lentils, canned tomatoes, chicken broth, and salt and pepper to taste to the soup pot.
- Simmer until the lentils are tender, about 1 hour.
- Add the frozen cauliflower rice and cook for another 30 minutes.
- Chop the spinach if needed and add to the soup pot and cook for another 20-30 minutes.
- Add balsamic vinegar and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
The soup will be amazing with Homemade chicken broth If you have some.
Recipe prepared by Kalyn. A new low-carb version adapted with help from Kara.
Amount per service:
Calories: 256Total fat: 13 gramsSaturated fat: 3 gramsUnsaturated fats: 0 gramsUnsaturated fats: 8 gramsCholesterol: 80 mgsodium: 1452 mgcarbohydrates: 10 gramsthe basic: 3 gramssugar: 4 gramsprotein: 24 grams
Nutrition info is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I’m using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, as many variables affect these calculations.
Low Carb Diet / Low Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Switching the rice to cauliflower rice, using more sausage, and using more broth make this Sausage and Lentil Spinach Soup a soup with only 7 net carbs per serving. If it’s made with lean chicken or turkey sausage, this could also be a great option for Phase 2 or 3 of the original South Beach Diet (or for any phase if you substitute carrots for more celery).
Find more recipes like these:
Uses Soup recipes To find more delicious soups like this. Use the Diet type indicator To find recipes suitable for a particular food plan. You may also like to follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on PinterestAnd in FacebookAnd on instagramAnd on TikTokor on YouTube See all the good recipes I share there.
Historical notes for this recipe:
This recipe was published in 2010. It was updated in 2021 with suggestions for making a low-carb version and in 2023 the recipe was adapted into a low-carb soup.
We are participating in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliate sites. As an Amazon member, I earn on qualifying purchases.
Discussion about this post