We always talk about how our moms lose weight with The Healthy Mummy, but our moms often also see the numbers go down the family budget as well as the metrics.
To show you how you can save money with The Healthy Mummy, we asked a few of our best budget moms to share how much they saved, how they did it, and what tips they gave other moms.
Read all of their tips and advice below…
Budget moms share how much they saved over 28 days with Healthy Mummy
Nicole Bradshaw – Lost 20 kg – Saved $106.55
Nicole is a mom of three from Victoria who has been part of the healthy mummy for 11 months and has lost an incredible 20kg in that time. She decided to do a review of her family budget and her partner’s business finances, so what would you change to help bring the numbers down?
“It was so much fun, and it got me looking at all aspects of our finances, including my partner’s business! We’ve looked at ways to cut costs at home and in my partner’s business.”
“The things we changed were….
- Replace the ready-made coffee with local or get Healthy man smoothie For my partner, I add coffee to that.
- Weekly Big Shop and Click & Collect
- Lowest flights to me
- Call business suppliers to see if they can increase product prices
- Shopping and comparing things like insurance (commercial and personal) and comparing TV subscriptions
- Thinking changes “Do I really want it or do I need it”
- Any coins we had at the end of the day went to the camping jar
- Buying meat in bulk and freezing it in quantities of 500 grams
- Being smart when planning meals, repeating meals, freezing leftovers, and cooking in large quantities”
With all of these changes and a healthy mummy help, I saved $106.55 this July!
“Very excited to announce our savings…$106.55, considering we’re a single wage family, and winter is my partner’s quietest time of the year!”
“We will definitely continue to look for ways to save ourselves and challenge ourselves next month!”
Nicole Budget Tips
So what advice would you give to others trying to combat the rising cost of living?
“With the cost of living skyrocketing, we all have to put up with and start budgeting.”
My top tips are:
- Make your fake On weekends, get the kids involved in choosing their pizza toppings and get their hands dirty making dough!
- Compare supermarket prices online, And be sure to check out Aldi to get some big savings, too!
- Place orders online. This really helps me stay focused and not overspend on things we don’t really need. You can see the shopping addition every time you add to your cart so you can keep an eye on the total.”
Kira Polisino – Lost 19 kg – $207.70 Saved
Kira is a mother of two from Melbourne who lost 19 kg with help healthy mummy. With this weight loss, she decided she would review how her family’s budget was also supported by the health changes made with The Healthy Mummy.
Kira says, “I decided to take a look and see how much my family saved over the course of the month… $207.70!”
So what exactly did Kira and her family do to cut $207.70 from the family’s monthly spending?
We did this by:
- Cook meals at home instead of eating takeaway using healthy mummy app (Sometimes, if we get burgers or china, we can spend as much as $70 on a takeaway!)
- Prepare more snacks at home for my husband and children and buy less canned food
- Use the 7/11 app and install when gasoline is at a good price
- Buy home brand/brand products cheaper
- Doing a big store packing in Aldi
- Store our regular products when in special condition
- Shop the clothing store and find a bargain! “
Kira’s top 6 budget tips
Kira wanted to help other mothers and families also make cuts in their budgets with the current cost of living crisis that many families are facing.
“With the current cost of living on the rise, it is now more important than ever to pay attention to how we save food as well as prevent waste!”
My top tips are:
- Plan all snacks and meals in advance and do your food store accordingly. Buy only what you will need and use it! If you do, you’ll find that you don’t toss anything in the trash at the weekend, and there’s a lot less waste.
- Take advantage of the freezer -If you have bananas that you won’t use in time (either make banana bread/muffins – or freeze them! Bananas freeze well and can be added frozen to smoothies), put the bread in the freezer before it spoils or run out of date and thaw if needed.
- When your favorite items become private, be sure to stock up. I often buy in bulk when one of my favorites goes to specialty items (tuna, tea, coffee, and washing powder, for example) and never have to pay full price for these items.
- Buy home brand products where available. The taste and quality are often the same for a fraction of the price.
- Get creative with takeaway and make it at home – A nice bowl of pasta, burgers or pizza, for example, can be made quickly at home, and you can save a lot of money! (And it’s also so much better for you!)
- Reduce processed and packaged foods. They are often full of hidden sugars, and you can make something healthier and more nutritious at home for a much cheaper price! “
But that’s not all Kira and her family do, they also shop in stores by checking which store has the best specials every week and choosing the best option for their store.
“Another thing I do is look at the catalog for both Coles & Woolies and shop every buy that’s special each week from the catalogs. I also go to Aldi for some stuff (especially frozen stuff. Dishwashing liquid etc., where I can It has a good price!)”
It also uses 7/11 to help it fix the price of gasoline when it is cheaper and is expected to rise.
“I also have a 7/11 app on my phone, and lock in the price of petrol when it’s cheaper. Every little thing you do has its value!”
Crystal Nida Bullseye – Lost 20 kg – Saved $290
Krystal is a mother of four from Coffs Harbor who has seen an amazing 20kg drop off the scales thanks to healthy mummy. The past two months have been difficult for Krystal and her family, the current cost-of-living increases have taken their toll on her, but the healthy mummy has helped her cut costs by $209 and stay healthy.
Crystal says, “June/July has been volatile. Gasoline and groceries prices skyrocketed; it was kind of a struggle. But with the help of Healthy Mummy, I was able to save some cash, $290.”
“Gasoline, groceries, kids on school holidays. It’s been a great month. To be honest, I don’t usually keep track of spending. But being a mother of five, sorry, I mean 4, not including a partner. I needed to keep track of where the money is going.”
Although she had never tracked her spending before, she used the Healthy Mummy app to help keep track of what she spends on groceries.
“The healthy mummy app Help me track grocery spending. It helped me learn about other areas of my spending.”
Some of the changes it has made to help keep costs low include:
- Gasoline, instead of driving, I walked
- Instead of buying takeaway for my kids when we go to the beach or the park, I packed our food.
To help her follow her savings goals, Crystal has set a goal of treating herself to a massage and facial with the money she’s saved by making these small changes. She is also able to help her kids have some fun activities!
“With this money saved, I scream myself a letter and a face, plus my son came home from his sleep today and went to a free boxing session with his buddy and grandfather today. He loved it! I am able to pay for the whole semester for boxing training once a week For a full time. When you put your mind to it, anything is possible.”
Krystal’s Top Budgeting Tips
Here are four tips Krystal offers to moms or other families looking to help reduce the cost of living shock.
- Set aside at least 20 minutes a week to prepare your family’s meals.
- Online grocery shopping is great because you put exactly what you need. This way, you don’t overspend.
- The catalogs are wonderful. See what specials are at your local grocery store.
- Find out what time your local grocer puts his products on sale at night. Coles and Woolies do this a lot.”
We love all these tips from our moms! Want more ways to save? Check out these blogs:
Join our wonderful community of supportive moms today!
With hundreds of thousands of mothers from across Australia, all with the same goals, fears and struggles, our community is there to support you through it all.
Are you ready to become a healthy mummy?
If you want to lose weight and improve your energy – not to mention help – help improve your overall health and well-being – we have 28 day weight loss challenge It is a great program to check.
Our 28-day weight loss challenge includes:
- 28 Days Workout At Home (No Gym Needed) – With Video Instructions
- Customizable, breastfeeding-friendly meal plans (including 7 Day Cleanse)
- Time-Saving Workouts for Busy Moms
- The challenge combines Pilates, interval and circuit training (HIIT)
- Suitable for basic to advanced fitness levels
- Home to thousands of Easy to prepare recipes!