My Keto Zuppa Toscana Soup is a healthy version of the popular Zuppa Toscana Soup chain of restaurants.
But, in my opinion, it tastes better.
And it’s Keto, which means it’s good for you too.
You won’t even miss all the carbs with my version full of smoke, bacon, and delicious Italian sausage.
And it’s very easy to make in your slow cooker.
In addition, all components are easy to find. And you probably already have most of the ingredients already in your pantry or fridge!
And to make this Keto Zuppa Toscana soup even better, you can enjoy it with Keto Dinner Rolls or Keto Soda Bread.
Or if you prefer a mix of coupons and salad, take a look at these 37 keto salad recipes to go with your delicious soup.
Recipe adjustments and cooking tips
My Keto Zuppa Toscana Soup is just as delicious as it gets. But there are some adjustments you can make to suit your taste or to accommodate ingredients in your pantry or refrigerator.
- You can use ground beef or pork and a tablespoon of Italian seasoning in place of the Italian sausage. Ground chicken or ground turkey can also be used, but the soup will not be as tasty because those meats are light in taste.
- You can use 1 teaspoon of garlic or 3/4 teaspoon of garlic powder in place of the garlic cloves. You can also use 2 teaspoons of minced garlic, which can be purchased at many grocery stores.
- You can use 1 tablespoon of onion powder in place of fresh onions. Leeks are also great substitutes for onions.
- Unsweetened canned coconut milk can be used in place of coconut cream, but the soup won’t be quite as thick.
- I recommend adding the optional red pepper flakes after the soup has been cooked. Slow ovens can concentrate flavors during the cooking process, which can make the soup spicier than you might like. Of course, red pepper flakes are optional and can be omitted if you don’t care for spicy foods.
- Zuppa Toscana’s traditional soup usually includes potatoes, which are not keto-friendly. So, if you want thicker bites without all the carbs in potatoes, you can add cauliflower florets to your soup. Either add raw cauliflower at the beginning of the cooking time or thawed frozen cauliflower at the end when you add the shredded turnip.
- Cabbage, mustard greens, and chard are great alternatives to use in place of kale.
Other Keto Soup Recipes
Can’t get enough of keto soup recipes? Nor can we!
Here are some of my favorite keto soup recipes to enjoy any time of the year.
And if you’re hungry for more keto soup recipes, here are 57 mouthwatering keto soup recipes that will keep you on track but without sacrificing any taste!
A creamy soup rich in the smoky flavors of sausage, bacon, and plenty of nutritious kale. And it’s dairy-free and keto-friendly too!
- 4 sliced bacon (4 oz or 112 grams), cubes
- 1 450gm Italian sausage, chopped light or hot خفيف
- 1 medium onion (4 oz or 110 grams) thin slices
- 6 cups (1.4 l) chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 Garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon (1 gramRed pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1 cup (240 ml) coconut cream (from tops 2 refrigerated cans of unsweetened coconut milk)
- 4 cups (270 gramsShredded turnip, stems removed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook bacon in a skillet over medium-high heat until crispy. Remove the cooked bacon with a perforated spoon and place on a plate lined with a paper towel to drain.
- Add the Italian sausage and onion to the same skillet with the remaining bacon fat and cook until brown, using a wooden spoon to cut into smaller pieces.
- Place cooked bacon, browned Italian sausage, onion, chicken or vegetable broth, and garlic in the slow cooker. Put the lid on the slow cooker and let it cook on high for 3 hours or on low for 6 hours.
- Add the coconut cream, chopped kale, and optional red pepper flakes to the slow cooker and simmer, uncovered, for about 10 minutes until the turnip is wilted and the soup has thickened slightly. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Put the soup in plates and serve.
All nutritional data is estimated based on the amounts of each serving.
Net Carbs Per Serving: 6g
- serving size: ¼ recipe
- Calories: 675
- sugar: 2 g
- Fat: 57 grams
- Carbohydrates: 8 grams
- the basic: 2 g
- protein: 16 grams