Even before I started on the keto diet, Moroccan chicken was one of my favorite recipes. It’s already naturally keto, and I didn’t have to make any adjustments to it to make it low carb.
I suggest serving your Moroccan chicken over white cauliflower keto rice, lemon cilantro keto cauliflower rice, or turmeric keto rice.
Also, my recipe is called Pomegranate Seeds, which give the dish a nice tart flavor. However, if you do not have pomegranate seeds, you can use chopped green olives or Kalamata olives instead. Of course, you can leave out the pomegranate or olive seeds and the recipe will still be delicious.
The spice mixture is the star of the recipe. However, some spices may be unfamiliar to you. So, let me briefly explain a little bit about this spice.
- Turmeric It is commonly used as a powder in recipes and has a strong earthy aroma and slightly bitter flavour. It is popular as a health supplement for its anti-inflammatory properties.
- smoked red pepper Made from dried smoked peppers ground into a powder. It has a strong smoky quality but is usually very light and sometimes sweet. It is loaded with Vitamin A and rich in antioxidants.
- Cayenne pepper Made from dried and ground chili peppers that are dried and ground into a powder. It is very hot and should be used in moderation when cooking if you do not like spicy food. You can omit them completely from this recipe if you want.
- cumin powder It is a finely ground seed that has a mild nutty and earthy flavour. It is believed that cumin contains several Health benefitsIncluding aiding digestion.
This recipe can be easily modified to fit any chicken pieces already in the fridge or freezer.
If you don’t have whole chicken legs, you can easily use an equal amount of bone and skin on the thighs and drumsticks.
You don’t have both? You can only use an equal amount of bone or skin on the thighs or just the thighs.
You can also use bone-in and skin-on chicken breasts instead of chicken legs.
However, since chicken breasts don’t have as much fat as chicken legs, you’ll want to make sure you don’t overcook them, which will cause the meat to get very dry. Begin checking for doneness after about 25 to 30 minutes of cooking time.
If you only have boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, you can still use them in the recipe with some cooking modifications. However, the recipe wouldn’t be super tasty without chicken skin, but it would still be delicious!
Boneless chicken breasts and thighs cook faster than boneless. Therefore, it is best to start checking for doneness after about 15-20 minutes of cooking time. If the chicken does not have an internal temperature of 165 F (74 C), cover the pan with aluminum foil and keep checking every 5 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
And if you still have chicken thighs in your fridge or freezer, here are 34 more keto chicken thighs recipes that are full of flavor!
Crispy and delicious Moroccan chicken from one piece and delicious on its own or with few sides.
4 chicken legs (drums and thighs) (2 lbs or 1 kg)
1/2 medium red onion (2 ounces or 55 g), thinly sliced
4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
1 lemon, halved
1 tablespoon (11 g) pomegranate seeds, for garnish
1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander (1 g) for Entrees
olive oil for distillation
For dry rub:
2 teaspoons of turmeric (4 g).
1 teaspoon smoked paprika (2 g)
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (2 g) (to taste, optional)
1 teaspoon cumin powder (2 g)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder (1 g).
1/2 teaspoon salt (2 g).
1/2 teaspoon pepper (1 g)
- Mix the dry rub ingredients in a small bowl. Rub chicken legs and place in a 9″ x 13″ (23 cm x 33 cm) saucepan. Put the onion and garlic around the chicken legs. Cover the casserole and put it in the fridge for at least an hour.
- When you’re ready to cook, preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Uncover the chicken, squeeze the juice of half a lemon and sprinkle olive oil over the chicken.
- Place the tagine in the oven and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the chicken legs are golden and cooked through, at an internal temperature of 165 F (74 C).
- Remove the dish from the oven and squeeze the remaining lemon over the chicken. Garnish with pomegranate seeds and chopped fresh coriander before serving.
All nutritional data is estimated based on the amounts of each serving.
Net Carbs Per Serving: 3g
- Calories: 334
- sugar: 1 gram
- Fat: 20 grams
- Carbohydrates: 4 g
- the basic: 1 gram
- protein: 30 grams