For this amazing recipe for Instant Green Beans with Bacon and Gorgonzola, the green beans need only 1 minute of time under pressure. We loved the combination of bacon and gorgonzola with green beans. See the tips in the post on cooking this without an instant pot if you prefer!
Top with green beans with bacon and gorgonzola to try later!
If you look at Green bean recipes On my website, I obviously already have some delicious ideas for green beans as a side dish. Not only do I love green beans, but for years I’ve been growing them in my garden and have had plenty of beans to use for recipe experiments. But this recipe Instant green beans with bacon and gorgonzola It’s the first time I’ve tried cooking green beans in the Instant Pot!
It took one complete fail experiment where the beans got too soft to make Kara and I realize that green beans only need about a minute of pressure cooking time to come out completely tender (the way Kara and I like them). If you prefer your beans to be softer, just set the Instant Pot for two minutes instead. But I hope you try this recipe and find out how easy instant green beans are!
And this recipe has a lot going for it, especially the technique of cooking the bacon in an instant pot and leaving some of the bacon fat to cook the onions first and then flavor the green beans. And the bacon and gorgonzola are a great combination of flavour. The second time we tested this I ended up with some leftovers, and ate them for breakfast the next day!
What ingredients do you need?
(This is a list of ingredients only; please scroll down for the full printable recipe. OR if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the full recipe.)
- Thick pieces of bacon
- an onion
- Green beans
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- collapsed Gorgonzola cheese
Can you use frozen green beans for this recipe?
I know someone is going to ask, but even though I haven’t tried it, I wouldn’t be using frozen green beans in this recipe. This is the perfect recipe for those pretty packages of green beans you get at Costco. I didn’t use French-style tender green beans, and if that’s what you have, I might cut the cooking time down to zero minutes, as the beans are only cooked when the Instant Pot starts to pressure.
How would you make this recipe without an Instant Pot?
If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you can make this recipe in a large pot on the stove:
- You’ll need to cook and remove the bacon first, leaving about 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat.
- Then finely chopped onions are cooked in the bacon fat. using medium-high heat.
- Microwave the green beans for 1-2 minutes while the onions are cooking.
- Add green beans (and maybe 1-2 tablespoons of bacon fat, depending on your skillet.
- Finish cooking the beans in the bacon fat, about 2-3 minutes, or until they are completely tender or cooked to your liking.
- (You can see the recipe for Green beans with lemon, parmesan cheese and pine nuts For an example of green beans cooked using a combination of microwave and stir-fry.)
- When the beans are tender, place them on a plate and top with crispy bacon and Gorgonzola crumbles.
What other cheese can you use if you don’t like Gorgonzola?
Personally, I love Gorgonzola, but I know not everyone does! If you’re not a fan of that pungent blue cheese, I think feta, cotija, or Parmesan cheese would be delicious in this recipe.
Want more ideas for vegetables cooked in the instant pot?
What size Instant Pot did you use?
I am using a 6 quart instant pot (affiliate link) to all of my Instant Pot recipes. Check out my growing collection of Instant pot recipes! You can see more Slow cooker/quick pot recipes on my other site.
How to make Instant Green Beans with Bacon and Gorgonzola:
(This is just a summary of the recipe steps; please scroll down for the full printable recipe. OR if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the full recipe.)
- Cut the bacon slices into short strips.
- Switch the Instant Pot to sauté, over high heat, and cook the bacon until tender.
- While the bacon is cooking, chop the onion, chop the green beans, and chop the beans into short pieces.
- When the bacon is cooked through, remove it to a paper towel.
- Leave only 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat in the Instant Pot.
- Turn the Instant Pot to sauté, and over high heat, cook the onions until they begin to brown.
- Add green beans to an Instant Pot along with 3/4 cup chicken broth.
- Lock the lid, make sure the valve is closed, and set the Instant Pot to MANUAL, HIGH, 1 MINUTE.
- Crumble the Gorgonzola cheese while the beans are cooking.
- When the time is up, quickly release the pressure.
- Remove lid, and season beans with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Remove the beans and arrange them on a serving platter.
- Sprinkle the beans with bacon and gorgonzola cheese.
- Serve hot.
More amazing green bean ideas:
6 thick slices of bacon
1 small onion finely chopped
2 pounds fresh green beans (see notes)
3/4 cup of chicken broth
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/3 cup crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- Cut thick slices of bacon into crosswise slices. (I like to separate them a bit with my fingers, but it’s not really necessary.
- Turn the Instant Pot over to sauté, over high heat, and cook the bacon until completely crisp. (This may take 5-10 minutes, don’t rush.
- While the bacon is cooking, chop a small onion until it’s cut into small cubes.
- Trim green beans and cut them into 2-inch pieces
- When the bacon is crisp and nicely browned, turn off the Instant Pot and remove the bacon to a paper towel to drain.
- Remove all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat from the Instant Pot
- Turn the Instant Pot to sauté, and over high heat, cook the onions until they begin to brown
- Add green beans to the Instant Pot along with 3/4 cup chicken broth
- Lock the lid, make sure the valve is closed, and set the Instant Pot to MANUAL, HIGH, 1 MINUTE
- Break up the gorgonzola cheese while the beans are cooking, if needed
- When the time is up, quickly release the pressure, being careful not to burn yourself with the hot steam
- Remove lid and season beans to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Remove the beans with a slotted spoon and arrange on a serving platter
- Sprinkle the beans with bacon and gorgonzola cheese
- Serve hot
- Every time we tested this, I devoured the leftovers, so even though the beans taste better fresh, I’d say they reheat well.
I do not recommend using “French-style” tender green beans for this recipe. If that’s all you’ve got, I’d set the Instant Pot to zero minutes of cooking time.
Created by Kalyn and Kara, this recipe was inspired by some of the other instant green bean recipes we found online.
Amount per service:
Calories: 136Total fat: 6.8 gramsSaturated fat: 2.9 gramsUnsaturated fats: 3.5 gramsCholesterol: 18 mgsodium: 509 mgcarbohydrates: 12 gramsthe basic: 4.3 gramssugar: 5.6 gramsprotein: 8.8 grams
Low Carb Diet / Low Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This is a good side dish for any low-carb or low-glycemic diet, and some people on a keto diet may even eat it. Green beans contain some carbohydrates, but they also contain fiber. Bacon is not recommended in the original South Beach diet, and with the high-fat cheese, this will be a personal choice for a South Beach native.
Find more recipes like these:
Uses Green bean recipes or Instant pot recipes To find more recipes like this. Use the Diet type indicator To find more recipes suitable for a particular food plan. You may also like to follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on PinterestAnd in FacebookAnd on instagramAnd on TikTokor on YouTube See all the good recipes I share there.
We are participating in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliate sites. As an Amazon member, I earn on qualifying purchases.
Discussion about this post