We loved the ground beef taco salad with kale, tomato, and avocado that also had chopped red peppers, olive slices, and Queso Fresco. There’s also a creamy green salsa, and if you’re not sure about taco salad with kale, see the post for other options.
when he returns I fell in love with the turnip baby I’ve enjoyed trying it in different salads, including the Taco Salad with Kale which I loved and which wasn’t a huge hit on the site. Then recently I was standing in the produce section of the grocery store thinking how to improve on an old taco salad recipe, and all the good flavors you see in this Ground beef taco salad with kale, tomato and avocado popped into my mind.
The new version has ground beef, tomato, kale, avocado, chopped red pepper, sliced olives and crumbled fresco cheese! But the other thing that really propelled this new taco salad recipe to wow status Kara And I had the creamy veggie sauce made with lime juice, calen’s taco seasoning, spike seasoning, Herd’s salsa verde, and mayonnaise.
I think this new taco salad recipe is a great upgrade to the Baby Kale Taco Salad, but I know this recipe has had some fans. So if anyone wants to see the archived recipe for the original version, you can find it here.
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
(This is a list of ingredients only; please scroll down for the full printable recipe. OR if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the full recipe.)
- minced meat
- olive oil (affiliate link)
- Caline’s taco seasoningor your favorite store-bought taco seasoning
- baby turnip leaves
- Red pepper
- Cherry tomatoes
- Chopped olives
- Queso fresco cheese
- Fresh lemon juice
- Spike seasoning (affiliate link), or another all-purpose seasoning blend
- Herdez salsa verde (affiliate link)
What other greens can you use in your ground beef taco salad?
Sure you could use chopped romaine or chopped iceberg lettuce for your taco salad if you can’t warm up to the idea of taco salad with kale. I also think people who love big spinach might enjoy this recipe with spinach.
What other cheese can you use in ground beef taco salad?
We absolutely loved the collapse Queso fresco cheese In a ground beef taco salad with kale, tomato, and avocado. But if you don’t have that cheese or don’t want to buy a special one, you can use whatever kind of shredded cheese you enjoy on your taco salad.
Is this a low-carb taco salad recipe?
This is a complete meal taco salad recipe and the full recipe makes for four servings. One serving contains 23 carbohydrates and 11 grams of fiber, which is 12 net carbs. Scroll down to see the full nutritional information.
Will this taco salad keep in the fridge?
This recipe makes four main salad courses. If that’s more than you’ll eat at one time, I’ll cook ground beef, crisp up and chop cabbage, make salsa, grate olives, chop peppers, crumble cheese, but just chop as much tomato and avocado as you do. He will eat right away. Store remaining ingredients separately (or you can combine kale, bell peppers, and olives) and then chop up the rest of the tomatoes and other avocados and mix in when you have leftovers.
How to make Ground Beef Taco Salad with Kale, Tomatoes, and Avocado:
(This is just a summary of the recipe steps; please scroll down for the full printable recipe. OR if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, you will be taken directly to the full recipe.)
- I used Costco organic ground beef which comes in a 1 1/3 pound package; You can use a little more or less depending on what package you have. Cook ground beef in olive oil until nicely browned, breaking up with a stirrer while cooking.
- Then add Caline’s taco seasoning water and let it simmer until all the liquid has evaporated. Make sure to cook until the bottom of the pan is dry!
- Turn off the heat and allow the meat to cool slightly while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Soak baby kale in ice water in a salad spinner if needed to crunch the kale.
- Whisk together lime juice, calen’s taco seasoning, spike seasoning, Herd’s salsa verde, and mayonnaise to make lemon-chile sauce.
- Describe a box of olive slices.
- Queso fresco cheese crumble.
- Chop the red pepper and chop the cherry tomatoes.
- Cut the avocado into pieces and stir in the lemon juice.
- Spin the kale until very dry (pat dry with paper towels if necessary) then coarsely chop the kale and transfer to a bowl.
- Add the red pepper slices, tomatoes, chopped olives, and taco meat, and stir in desired amount of salsa.
- Then add the avocado cubes and crumbled cheese and toss gently to combine.
- I kept some avocado chunks and a little bit of cheese to decorate the top of the salad.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
More fun taco salad ideas:
Weekend meal prep:
This recipe has been added to a category called Weekend food preparation To help you find recipes you can make or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
1 1/3 lbs. minced meat
1 ton of olive oil
2 T Kalyn taco seasoning (see notes)
1 cup of water
5 oz. baby turnip leaves
1 small red capsicum, chopped
1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
6.5 oz. Olives can be sliced
2 small avocados, cut into cubes
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice (see notes)
1 cup queso fresco crumbled
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (see notes)
1/2 tsp. Caline’s taco seasoning
1/2 tsp. Spike seasoning
4 T Herdez Salsa Verde (or other green chile sauce)
- Cook ground beef in a little olive oil until nicely browned, breaking up using a turner while cooking.
- Then add 2 tablespoons of Caline’s taco seasoning And a glass of water and let the meat simmer until all the liquid has evaporated. Make sure to cook until the bottom of the pan looks dry, or the salad will be soggy!
- Turn off the heat and allow the meat to cool slightly in the skillet while you prepare the other ingredients
- Soak the baby kale in ice water in the salad bowl if needed to crunch the kale. (You can cut off the stems if you like; I always do!
- Whisk together 2 teaspoons lemon juice with 12 tsp. calen taco seasoning, 1/2 tsp. Spike Seasoning, 4 T Herd’s Salsa Verde, and 6 Tbs of mayonnaise to make the Lime and Chili Dressing.
- Drain a can of sliced olives (or use regular olives and cut them into slices).
- Crush 1 cup of Queso Fresco
- Chop the red pepper and chop the cherry tomatoes
- Cut the avocado into pieces and stir in the lemon juice
- Spin the kale until very dry (dry it with paper towels if necessary) then coarsely chop the kale and transfer to a bowl large enough to toss in all of the ingredients.
- Add the chopped red pepper, tomato, olive slices, and taco meat and toss with desired amount of salsa.
- Then add the diced avocado and queso fresco crumbles and toss gently to combine (reserve some avocado chunks and a little cheese to garnish the top of the salad.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
I use Fresh and frozen lemon juice for recipes like this.
If this makes more than you can use in one meal, prepare all the ingredients, refrigerate the ingredients separately and toss the ingredients with the dressing when you’re ready to eat. You may want to let the salsa and taco meat come to room temperature for a few minutes if they have been refrigerated.
There are ingredients in this salad that do have some carbs, but many of the ingredients are high in fiber, so they’re very low in net carbs.
Recipe prepared by Kalyn.
Amount per service:
Calories: 647Total fat: 50 grSaturated fat: 14 gramsUnsaturated fats: 1 gramUnsaturated fats: 32 gramsCholesterol: 114 mgsodium: 1045 mgcarbohydrates: 15 gramsFiber: 7 gramssugar: 4 gramsprotein: 35 grams
Nutrition info is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I’m using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, as many variables affect these calculations.
Low Carb Diet / Low Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This ground beef taco salad with kale, tomato, and avocado is great for traditional low-carb diets, including keto. If you use lean beef and limit the avocado, this salad will make a tasty and nutritious meal for any leg of the South Beach Originals diet.
Find more recipes like these:
Uses Salad recipes To find more recipes like this. Use the Diet type indicator To find recipes suitable for a particular food plan. You may also like to follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on PinterestAnd in FacebookAnd on instagramAnd on TikTokor on YouTube See all the good recipes I share there.
Historical notes for this recipe:
This recipe was published in 2013. It was updated to an improved version in 2023 and Original recipe for Baby Kale Taco Salad It is archived on the site.
We are participating in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliate sites. As an Amazon member, I earn on qualifying purchases.