Nova ScotiaOfficials announced Friday that the phased reopening plan for COVID-19 is set to begin June 2 at 8 a.m., with expanded limits for outdoor gatherings, restaurants and some businesses allowed to reopen with restrictions.
Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Robert Strang said in-person learning would also resume in schools across the province next Wednesday – with the exception of Halifax Regional Municipality and Sydney.
“It should be a steady, careful ride,” Strang said.
Prime Minister Ian Rankin said each phase of the plan would last approximately two to four weeks. Rankin and Strang unveiled the plan a day after Prince Edward Island and New Brunswick presented multi-step plans to lift COVID-19 restrictions.
Nova Scotia reported 40 new cases of COVID-19 and one related death on Friday.
New Brunswickthat you mentioned Nine new cases of COVID-19 On Friday, it is pressing ahead with a three-step reopening plan set to begin on June 7 — if the county meets its targets on vaccination rates and case numbers.
Dr. Jennifer Russell, the county’s chief medical officer for health, said Thursday that the pandemic is far from over. He said the reopening plan offers hope.
“It’s about giving everyone the strength to stay on course for a few more weeks,” she said.
Prince Edward Island, that you mentioned Two new cases of COVID-19 On Friday, it is pressing ahead with a five-step plan, which is tentatively set to begin on June 6. As with New Brunswick, the plan requires certain thresholds around vaccination rates and status to be met before moving on to the next stage.
“Today is to be grateful for what we have been able to achieve together,” Dr. Heather Morrison, the county’s chief public health official, said Thursday. “Prince Edward Island has the lowest rate of COVID-19 cases in Canada. We’ve been lucky, but we’ve also worked hard.”
Newfoundland and LabradorMeanwhile, I mentioned 14 new cases of COVID-19 on Friday.
— From CBC News and The Canadian Press, last updated at 2:45 p.m. ET
What’s happening across Canada
Watch | Ontario raises second doses amid a steady supply of vaccine:
As of 2 p.m. ET on Friday, Canada has reported 1,373,322 confirmed cases of COVID-19, with 40,769 considered active cases. CBC News’ death toll has reached 25,429. More than 22.6 million doses of the COVID-19 vaccine have been administered so far across the country, according to the CBC Vaccine Tracker.
Dr Theresa Tam, Chief Public Health Officer of Canada, He said briefly on Friday People’s efforts “have put us in good shape and rightly past the peak of the third wave nationwide.”
Tam said Canada has seen a “strong and steady” decline in disease trends, with the average number of cases averaging less than half what it was at the height of the third wave in mid-April.
Ontario On Friday, it reported 1,273 new cases of COVID-19 and 14 additional deaths. The number of hospitalizations reached 1,023 people, with 645 people in the intensive care unit due to a COVID-related illness, according to the provincial health ministry.
across the north, Nunavut It reported a new case of COVID-19 on Friday, according to Prime Minister Joe Savikatak. Health officials in Yukon and the Northwest Territories No updated information has yet been provided for today.
at Quebec, health officials reported 419 new cases of COVID-19 and four additional deaths Friday as a raft of restrictions — including a county-wide curfew — were lifted.
Manitoba I mentioned on Friday 497 new cases of COVID-19 virus There are no related deaths.
Thursday, Saskatchewan It has reported 118 new cases of COVID-19 and six additional deaths. Alberta On Thursday, it reported 513 new COVID-19 cases and one more death. Health officials said 538 people are in hospital with the virus, and 150 are in intensive care.
at British ColumbiaOn Thursday, health officials reported 378 new cases of COVID-19 and seven additional deaths.
— From CBC News and The Canadian Press, last updated at 2:45 p.m. ET
What is happening around the world
As of Friday afternoon, more than 169.1 million cases of COVID-19 have been reported worldwide, according to a database from Johns Hopkins University in the United States. The reported global death toll has reached more than 3.5 million.
WHO member states approved an “ambitious increase” in the UN health agency’s budget at a meeting, and some have pointed out that the WHO’s chronic underfunding is crippling its ability to protect global health. Delegates to the World Health Assembly on Thursday approved a 16 percent increase in the WHO’s proposed budget for the next two years, to about 6.1 billion US dollars.
More than 90 percent of WHO funding is related to specific health issues, and the agency often struggles to respond to urgent crises. A mandated review of the World Health Organization in the wake of its global handling of the COVID-19 pandemic suggested the agency could have acted faster and more forcefully to stop the spread of the coronavirus, but also said it lacks strength and money.
In the Americas, US Secretary of Homeland Security, Alejandro Mallorcas, said the government is looking at “a very close look” at the possibility of obtaining vaccine passports for travel to and from the United States.
In the Asia and the Pacific In the region, Malaysia’s prime minister said a total coronavirus lockdown will be imposed in the country, with all commercial and economic activities suspended for two weeks to contain the worsening outbreak.
And Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin announced that the decision to implement the closure from June 1 came after new infections on Friday exceeded 8000 for the first time, raising fears that the disease may get out of control.
The Health Ministry also reported 61 more deaths on Friday, bringing the number to 2,552 – nearly 40 per cent have been recorded this month alone. Total cases and deaths in Malaysia have jumped nearly fivefold compared to the whole of last year.
at EuropeThe European Medicines Agency has recommended expanding the use of the coronavirus vaccine, made by Pfizer and BioNTech, to children aged 12 to 15 years.
Friday’s recommendation comes on the heels of similar decisions by regulators in Canada and the United States, as wealthy nations slowly approach adult vaccination targets and look to vaccinate as many people as possible.
at AfricaSouth Africa is racing to vaccinate as many people as possible amid signs that the virus may rise again as winter approaches in the southern hemisphere, when people spend more time indoors, usually allowing more disease to spread.
Since January, South Africa has vaccinated nearly 500,000 of its 1.2 million healthcare workers, and is now adding its older citizens to the campaign.
In the Middle east, The first group of foreign tourists in more than a year landed in Israel on Thursday after the government began opening its borders.
— From The Associated Press and Reuters, last updated at 2:45 p.m. ET
Do you have questions about this story? We answer as many as possible in the comments.
Discussion about this post