Posted by Calin Denny On May 26, 2021
This low carb chicken and avocado salad with lemon and cilantro is a great year-round salad with the perfect blend of flavours. And if you’re not a fan of cilantro, check out my suggestion for making this without cilantro!
Pin the recipe to try it later!
It was my sister Pam who first discovered this recipe chicken Avocado salad with lemon and coriander On Pinterest, and this is a recipe I’ve made over and over since you first told me about it. The email Pam sent me only had a list of ingredients, so when I made the salad, I made my own ingredients and directions. My version of this popular salad contains big chunks of chicken and avocado, and I turn lemon and mayonnaise into a dressing. And my family has some cilantro avoiders, so I often make an equally delicious version without the cilantro and only use an increased amount of green onions. Over the years, I’ve made this for several parties, and if you love these ingredients, I promise this salad will be your keeper too!
After Pam sent me the list of ingredients, I wanted to point out the source when I posted it here, and when I copied what Pam sent me and put it on Pinterest, I found Avocado chicken salad than to become my home. Betty found the salad when someone gave it to her, so I’m not sure who first created this popular salad!
I recently decided that this salad was very popular, so I should try to improve the images. I also realized that now I usually make a little more than the original recipe. So the recipe here is the new and improved version of the salad, with less chicken, avocado, and cilantro than the original recipe. Feel free to modify the ingredients and ingredients in any way that suits your taste; I think this set will be good no matter how you switch it up!
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
- cooked chicken
- Fresh lemon juice I have used Fresh and frozen lemon juice
- salt to taste
- green onion
- chopped fresh cilantro (optional, see notes)
What if you don’t like cilantro?
If you’re one of those people with the anti-cilantro taste buds, simply triple the amount of green onions and avoid the cilantro. This salad would still be great without the cilantro, I promise!
How this recipe works:
(Scroll down for the full printable recipe plus nutritional information.)
- I used three cups of shredded chicken. I used the rotisserie chicken that comes in a package at Costco, and we cut it into chicken pieces that weren’t too small.
- Slice 2 medium avocados and stir with 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice. (Use less avocado and chicken if you want fewer carbs.)
- Finely chop about 1/4 cup of green onions, sliced. (Use about 3/4 cup of chopped green onions if you’re skipping the cilantro.
- Chop ½ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro. (We chopped the cilantro very fine so that the cilantro flavor is through the salad.)
- I mixed 3 TB of mayonnaise and 2 tsp of lemon juice to make the sauce. Use more or less dressing as desired. (Remember that there is actually some lemon juice on the avocado, so if you’re not crazy about lemon, you can use a little more.)
- Place the chicken in a bowl large enough to accommodate all the ingredients, add the green onion slices and the sauce and mix well, until all of the chicken is covered with the sauce.
- Add the avocado and the lemon juice at the bottom of the bowl and mix gently until combined.
- Then add the finely chopped coriander and mix gently again until just barely combined.
- Serve the salad immediately or refrigerate a few hours before serving.
- This salad will keep in the refrigerator for a day, although avocados are best when fresh.
More avocado salads:
Low Carb Keto Salads With Avocado
Heart of palm salad with tomatoes and avocado
Salad with cucumber, tomato and avocado
More salads with leftover chicken:
paying off Beat the low carb chicken salad For more delicious salads made with chicken!
- 3 cups cooked chicken, cut into large pieces
- 2 medium avocados, cut into cubes
- 3 T fresh lemon juice, divided
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro (see notes)
- 3 t May (see notes)
- Shred enough chicken to make 3 cups of minced chicken. I like to cut it into fairly large pieces.
- Cut the avocado into medium-sized pieces, put them in a small bowl, mix with 1 ton of lemon juice, and season the avocado with salt to taste.
- Thinly slice the green onions and chop the cilantro (if using).
- Mix 3 TB of mayonnaise with 2 T lime juice to make the sauce (if you’re not a big fan of lemon like me, you might want to start with a little lime and taste, and add more until it looks sour enough for you.
- Place the chicken in a bowl large enough to accommodate all of the salad ingredients.
- Add the chopped green onions and the sauce, and stir until all of the chicken is covered with the sauce.
- Add the avocado and any lemon juice to the bottom of the bowl and mix gently with the chicken.
- Then add the chopped cilantro and mix gently into the salad, just until just blended.
- Serve immediately or leave in the fridge for a while before serving This can be served inside pita bread or sandwich bread, or inside crisp lettuce cups, but we only had it as a salad.
- This will keep in the refrigerator overnight, but avocados are best when fresh. When I do this, I rarely have leftovers, but if you’re only making for one or two people, you may want to cut the recipe in half.
If you’re not a fan of cilantro, just triple the green onions and avoid the cilantro completely. If you like a lot of salad dressing, you may want to increase the amount of dressing a bit.
If you want a version of this salad that’s lower in carbs, use more chicken and avocado.
Recipe adapted from Avocado chicken salad From Becoming Betty, which my sister’s friend Pam found on Pinterest.
Amount per service: Calories: 306Total fat: 24 gramsSaturated fat: 5 gramsUnsaturated fats: 0 gramsUnsaturated fats: 17 gramsCholesterol: 66 mgsodium: 195 mgCarbohydrates: 7 gramsthe basic: 5 gramssugar: 1 gramprotein: 18 grams
Nutrition information is calculated automatically by the Recipe Plug-In I’m using. I am not a dietitian and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, as many variables affect these calculations.
Low Carb Diet / Low Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Chicken and avocado salad with lemon and cilantro would be good for low-carb eating plans, including keto. The salad will be approved for any stage of the original South Beach diet, but remember that avocado and mayonnaise are both limited foods for South Beach.
Find more recipes like these:
Uses salad recipes To find more recipes like these. use the Diet type indicator To find more recipes suitable for a particular eating plan. You may also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest To see all the good recipes I share there.
Historical notes for this recipe:
This mega recipe was first published in 2012. It was last updated in 2021.
Discussion about this post