Asparagus Wrapped in Ham is a low-carb appetizer treat to have while watching a sport or while waiting for your holiday meal.
Asparagus wrapped in ham to try later!
When you want a special appetizer that’s fun but also low in carbs, this Asparagus wrapped in pork It is something that will always be fun. And asparagus turns into a year-round vegetable, even if it’s a little more expensive during the winter.
Smoked and slightly browned ham pair nicely with barely roasted asparagus, and asparagus wrapped in ham is something that will be a hit with all asparagus lovers! And who doesn’t like the idea of an easy appetizer that only contains two ingredients! Give this a try and see if it works for the asparagus lovers in your life.
What components do you need?
- Thick asparagus spear
- Smoked pork, thinly sliced
What can you wrap asparagus around?
I’ve seen recipes using asparagus wrapped in prosciutto or bacon, so the white one inspired me to try this roasted asparagus with pork chops! And I wouldn’t mind trying it wrapped in thin slices of beef! And look in the comments for other ways people have tried this idea.
Want more ideas for appetizers with asparagus?
paying off Asparagus with tahini and peanut sauce For another fun idea with asparagus is perfect for serving appetizers!
How to make asparagus cabbage in pork:
(Scroll down for the full recipe including nutritional information.)
- I’ve made this twice, and it’s definitely better to use a slightly thicker asparagus spear.
- Cut the wooden ends of the asparagus, and make the pieces all the same size.
- For this recipe, canned ham (where the pieces are all the same size) will work best.
- Wrap a piece of ham around each asparagus spear, securing it with a toothpick.
- Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray or olive oil before placing the asparagus.
- I arranged the pieces on the baking sheet so that it was not too difficult to turn them over.
- Roast the spears for 8-10 minutes on the first side, until the pork just begins to turn brown.
- Then flip and roast for another 5-7 minutes, until the asparagus is just barely tender and the pork is lightly browned on both sides.
- Serve hot.
More recipe ideas with asparagus:
Chicken and asparagus with three types of cheese
Asparagus and tomato salad with hearts of palm
Grilled eggs and asparagus with parmesan cheese
1 pound thick asparagus sticks, woody ends, trimmed
1 pound smoked ham (see notes)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F / 205°C.
- Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray. (If you have two or more baking sheets, and there’s room in the oven, you can cook all the rolled asparagus at once.)
- Trim the wooden ends of the asparagus spears, making all the pieces the same size.
- Wrap a piece of ham around each asparagus piece, securing it with a toothpick inserted horizontally so the asparagus piece lays flat on the baking sheet.
- Place the asparagus on a sprinkled baking sheet, arranging the pieces so you can turn them over.
- Roast the asparagus for 8-10 minutes on the first side, or until the pork is light brown.
- Flip the asparagus pieces and grill for an additional 5-7 minutes on the second side, until the asparagus is tender and just barely crunchy and the ham is lightly browned on both sides.
- Repeat the process with more asparagus pieces if you are using only one baking sheet.
- Serve hot with mustard sauce on the side, if desired.
Canned pork, cut into equal-size pieces, will work best with this recipe. Make sure to choose pork with no added sugar if you want it to be low in carbs.
Recipe prepared by Kalyn.
Amount per service:
Calories: 33Total fat: 1 gramSaturated fat: 0 gramsUnsaturated fats: 0 gramsCholesterol: 5 mgsodium: 207 mgcarbohydrates: 1 gramthe basic: 0 gramssugar: 0 gramsprotein: 5 grams
Nutrition information is calculated automatically by the Recipe Plug-In I’m using. I am not a dietitian and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, as many variables affect these calculations.
Low Carb Diet / Low Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Asparagus wrapped in ham is a low-carb, keto, low-glycemic, and original South Beach diet, and it’s also paleo if you’re using pork that has no added sugar or honey.
Find more recipes like these:
Uses appetizers To find more recipes like these. use the Diet type indicator To find recipes suitable for a particular food plan. You may also like to check out Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest or in Facebook To see all the good recipes I share there.
Historical notes for this recipe:
Asparagus Wrapped in Ham was published in 2010 and has made it many times since then! The recipe was recently updated with more information in 2022.
We are participants in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliate sites. As an Amazon member, I earn from eligible purchases.
Discussion about this post