We absolutely loved this air fryer, and if you make tacos with low-carb tortillas, this is a quick and easy low-carb meal. We used frozen Mahi Mahi from Costco for this fish taco recipe, but use any white fish you like for this delicious dinner!
Pin Air Fryer Fish Tacos to try later!
When Rubio’s came to my Salt Lake neighborhood years ago, I immediately became a huge fish taco fan! And at the time, I didn’t care much about carbs and loved the Rubio Fish Tacos, made with fried fish and served with spicy mayonnaise! And in those days I always had fish tacos Bento bento rubio!
Now fast forward a few years later and I still love fish tacos, but these are low carb Air fryer fish tacos It will suit me much better now! I think this fish taco recipe has just the right ingredients to season the fish and add flavor, and you can literally make it in minutes when you cook fish with the air fryer. And these tortilla tacos are your new low-carb favorite and only have 6.5 net carbs per taco!
Of course I realize that my site already has a recipe Salmon tacos with spicy slaw And Rolled fish taco bowlsand maybe some experienced chefs can use the information in these two posts to make air fryer tacos.
But the way search engines these days are so demanding on keywords, no one will ever find this delicious fish taco recipe if they were searching on my site or the web without getting it in a separate recipe post. And that would be a shame, because these air fryer tacos are not to be missed!
What ingredients do you need?
(This is a list of ingredients only; please scroll down for the full printable recipe. OR if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the full recipe.)
Why is the Air Fryer Fish Tacos perfect for an easy dinner?
- Fish is cooked to perfection in minutes in the air fryer.
- The fish is marinated with a wonderful blend of spices that enhance the flavor of the fish.
- This fish taco recipe uses a perfect slaw as a topping for fish tacos, and it’s easy to make in minutes.
- You can use kale mix to skip the chopping step if you prefer!
- This cabbage recipe offers a spicy mayonnaise-lime dressing to add to your fish tacos at the table.
- Fish is always perfect for a healthy meal, and when made with a low-carb tortilla, the Air Fryer Fish Tacos are a delicious low-carb meal.
What if you don’t have an air fryer?
If you don’t have an air fryer, you can use the photos and description from Rolled fish taco bowls To learn how to cook fish on a grill pan over the stove (or a skillet will work, too.) You can also find instructions on grilled salmon or grilled salmon in my recipe Maple salmon Either of these two fish cooking methods can be used for this fish taco recipe.
What tortillas did we use to make these low-carb fish tacos?
There are a lot of great low-carb tortilla brands out there, and if you have one that you like, it will work just fine for making these fish skillet tacos! But for some time now I’ve had a huge preference for Mr. Tortilla 2 Nut Carb Multigrain Tortilla When I make tacos, this is the brand we used in this recipe. (So far I can’t find it in any store near me, so I buy it in a 12-pack from Amazon.)
What slaw is served with fish tacos?
For years I loved my recipe Spicy Mexican slawAnd that’s the slaw that goes with these fish tacos. We skipped the cilantro for this recipe, but you can add some if you’re a cilantro fan! I’ve given the quantities for a reduced amount to make enough cabbage for six tacos, but you can also use this link and make the full recipe if your family is a cabbage fan.
What air fryer did you use for Fish Tacos?
I’ve been a fan of the Air Fryer ever since I discovered it Air Fryer Toaster Oven, Cuisinart (referral link) which is what I used for this recipe. This air fryer model has a larger basket that can hold a lot of food, and I find this model very easy to use. I also love having an air fryer that stays on the counter. (you can use Air fryer recipes See other Air Fryer recipes on my site.)
My favorite air fryer product:
I was a huge fan of Air fryer parchment paper (affiliate link) after being recommended by a reader on Kalyn’s Kitchen Facebook page! This is a complete game changer for keeping your Air Fryer basket clean, and I don’t use my air fryer without it these days. You can see it in use in the photos below.
How to make air fried fish tacos:
(This is just a summary of the recipe steps; please scroll down for the full printable recipe. OR if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, you will be taken directly to the full recipe.)
- We used frozen mahi-mahi, thawed in the refrigerator.
- Let the fish come to room temperature.
- Mix the fish rub, ground cumin, paprika, and garlic powder.
- Rub the fish on each side with the olive oil and spice mixture.
- Whisk together mayonnaise, fresh lime juice, Green Tabasco sauce, and Vege-Sal for dressing.
- Slice cabbage and green onions. Then mix the slaw ingredients with about half of the sauce.
- Remove the basket (if your air fryer has this option) and preheat the air fryer to 400°F / 204°C.
- Air fryer basket with Air fryer parchment paper (referral link) if using.
- Place the fish on parchment paper (or directly in the basket).
- Cook the fish for 6 minutes, or until firm to the touch.
- I love this Mr. Tortilla 2 Nut Carb Multigrain Tortilla (affiliate link) Perfect for tacos, and that’s what we used.
- While the fish is cooking, heat each tortilla for 30-60 seconds in a hot skillet.
- Put the cooked fish on a cutting board and chop it up.
- Fill a tortilla with fish pieces topped with spicy slaw.
- Serve hot, with extra sauce to add to the table.
- I love serving more limes to squeeze into my tacos, too!
Make it a low-carb meal:
Two Air Fryer Fish Tacos would be a great dinner for me, but for the heartier appetite you could add something like Jicama Laurel SaladAnd Tomato, cucumber and avocado salador Cucumber salad with balsamic dressing.
Want more low-carb air fryer recipes?
Check out my submission report for 100 Keto Air Fryer Recipes For more delicious air fryer dinner ideas!
3 fish fillets, about 1 pound of fish
1 ton of olive oil
2 tsp. Szeged Fish Rub (see notes)
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. Paprika (see notes)
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 cups green cabbage, thinly sliced
1 cup red cabbage, thinly sliced
3 green onions, sliced
1/2 cup mayonnaise
4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (more or less to taste)
1 teaspoon green Tabasco sauce (more or less to taste)
1/2 tsp. Vege-Sal (or use a pinch of regular salt)
6 tortillas 2 net carb tortillas (or other types of tortillas of your choice)
Lime slices, for serving (optional)
- Defrost fish overnight in the refrigerator. Remove the fish from the freezer and allow it to come to room temperature when you’re ready to make the fish tacos.
- Drain the fish and pat it dry with paper towels if it looks wet.
- Combine Szeged fish rub, ground cumin, paprika, and garlic powder to make a delicious rub.
- Then rub the fish on each side first with the olive oil, then with a little more of the rub mixture.
- Whisk together mayonnaise, fresh lime juice, Green Tabasco sauce, and Vege-Sal to make hot sauce. (If you’re not sure how much you like these ingredients, I’d start with less lemon and Green Tabasco sauce and then taste to see if you’d like more.)
- Slice the cabbage and green onions (or measure out 3 cups of the coleslaw mix to replace the cabbage if you prefer that option). Then stir in the cabbage ingredients with about 4 tablespoons of the dressing, or a little more if you prefer.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F / 204°C. (Remove the basket when preheating if your air fryer has this option.)
- Air fryer basket with Air fryer parchment paper (referral link) if using. Place the fish on parchment paper or directly into the basket.
- Cook the fish pieces for about 6 minutes, or until firm (but not hard) to the touch.
- While the fish is cooking, heat each tortilla for 30-60 seconds in a hot skillet, flipping once. (I think the Mr. Tortilla 2 Nut Carb Multigrain Tortilla is perfect for tacos, and that’s what we used in this recipe. Use whatever tortillas you like best.)
- Put the cooked fish on a cutting board and chop it with a fork.
- Fill each warm tortilla with pieces of shredded fish topped with spicy slaw.
- Serve hot, with extra sauce to add to the table if desired. I like to serve the tacos with bits of lime to squeeze into the tacos, too!
We used frozen Mahi Mahi from Costco for this recipe. Use any thinner you like.
I’m a huge fan of Szeged Fish Rub, but use whatever fish rub you have on hand if you don’t have this brand.
I’m going to use Szeged Paprika for this recipe, but use whatever paprika you have on hand. Use sweet or mild peppers, not sharp ones.
If you want to make this easy dinner even easier, just use 3 cups of purchased coleslaw mix to replace the red and green cabbage.
This recipe was created by Callen and Kara, and when Kara took the leftovers back to her family her son Cooper loved it with gluten-free tortillas.
Amount per service:
Calories: 289Total fat: 18 gramsSaturated fat: 2.7 gramsUnsaturated fats: 0 gramsUnsaturated fats: 13.6 gramsCholesterol: 79 mgsodium: 292 mgcarbohydrates: 12.5 gramsFiber: 6 gramssugar: 2.7 gramsprotein: 23 grams
Nutrition info is automatically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I’m using. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, as many variables affect these calculations.
Low Carb Diet / Low Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Air Fryer Fish Tacos would be a great dinner idea for any low-carb or keto diet, or for any phase of the original South Beach diet. South Beach recommends light mayonnaise to reduce the fat. The fish tacos can also be made gluten-free if you use a gluten-free tortilla.
Find more recipes like these:
Uses Taco recipes See all of my taco flavored tacos or recipes on my site. Use the Diet type indicator To find more recipes suitable for a particular eating plan. You may also like to follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on PinterestAnd in FacebookAnd on instagramAnd on TikTokor on YouTube See all the good recipes I share there.
We are participating in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliate sites. As an Amazon member, I earn on qualifying purchases.
Discussion about this post