Air Fryer Fish Sticks with Homemade Tartar Sauce is a fun, delicious dinner idea that’s easy enough when you’re craving fish!
Many people eat more fish at this time of year even today Friday favorite After I remind you of this Air fryer fish sticks It was one of the Air Fryer experiences I had that turned out to be a complete winner. And maybe this is a dinner that the whole family will love!
We used frozen cod that we thawed overnight, dried, and then sliced crosswise to make short pieces of fish. We dipped the fish in the eggs, then in the seasoned almond meal, with a fish rub and a little black pepper. Fish sticks only take 10 to 12 minutes to cook in the air fryer, then gobble it up with my favorite Homemade double dill tartar sauce.
We kept this recipe on purpose simple because we wanted to let the flavor of the fish really shine through. But if you want to add something like Spicy Old Bay Seasoning or another good seasoning mix with fish to your almond flour mixture, go ahead and let your creative culinary juices flow!
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
- Cod, halibut or other thick white fish fillet
- almond flour (affiliate link)
- Scrub the fish. Preferably zigged fish scrub (affiliate link)
- 1/4 tsp. Freshly ground black pepper
- Tartar sauce (homemade or purchased)
What air fryer did you use?
I love the Air Fryer Roasting Oven, Cuisinart Which is what I used for this recipe. This air fryer has a larger basket, which allows me to fit 16 fish pieces, and I find this model very handy. I also love the convenience of having an air fryer that stays on the counter. If you have a smaller model of the air fryer, you may not be able to fit as many fish sticks. (The air fryer links are affiliate links.) Usage Air fryer recipes See other Air Fryer recipes on this site.
What if I don’t have an air fryer?
I’m not trying to convince you to buy an air fryer; You can bake them at 475°F/245°C for about 20 minutes if you want to cook the fish sticks in the oven.
Want more low carb air fryer recipes?
you can use Low carb keto air fryer recipes To find delicious dinner from all over the web!
Want more low carb recipes for cooking fish?
How to make air fryer fish sticks:
(This is just a summary of what’s in the photos; see the recipe below for full instructions including nutritional information.)
- If frozen, thaw pieces of fish overnight in the refrigerator.
- Then dry the fish well and pat it dry with paper towels.
- Cut the fish crosswise into short strips about 1 inch wide.
- Prepare two bowls, one with scrambled eggs and one with a mixture of almond flour (affiliate link) zigged fish scrub (referral link), and a pinch of freshly ground black pepper. (I used my favorite zigged fish scrub (affiliate link) But any brand that tastes good will be fine.)
- Set the air fryer to 390°F/200°C. Preheat the air fryer if necessary.
- Then dip each piece of fish first in the egg and then in the almond flour mixture.
- Cook the fish for 10-12 minutes, and check after 10 minutes to see if you need more time.
- We used our fingers to flip the fish once, but it probably wasn’t 100% necessary.
- Feet hot with Homemade double dill tartar sauce Or your favorite tartar sauce!
Make it a low carb meal:
More delicious low-carb fish dinners:
4 pieces of cod, halibut, or other thick white fish fillets (see notes)
2 eggs, well whisked
1 cup almond flour
2 tsp. fish rub (see notes)
1/4 tsp. Freshly ground black pepper
Tartar sauce for serving (We liked this with our homemade double-dill tartar sauce, see notes.)
- If frozen, thaw frozen cod, halibut, or other white fish overnight in the refrigerator. Then dry the fish well and pat it dry with paper towels.
- Cut the fish crosswise into short strips about 1 inch wide. We got 16 of four fish fillets, but if your Air Fryer is smaller, you may not be able to cook that much all at once.
- Prepare two dishes, one with scrambled eggs and the other with a mixture of almond flour (continued link), Fish Rub, and a pinch of freshly ground black pepper.
- Set the air fryer to 390°F/200°C. Preheat the air fryer if necessary. We sprayed the basket of the air fryer with non-stick spray.
- When you’re ready to cook, dip each piece of fish first in the egg and then in the almond flour mixture, sprinkling the almond flour with your fingers until the fish is slightly coated. Place the fish sticks in the basket of the air fryer while covered.
- Cook the fish for 10-12 minutes, and start checking after about 7-8 minutes to see if you need to rotate the fish. (We flipped it once but I’m not sure it’s necessary because the air fryer circulates hot air around the food.) Within 10 minutes, check to see if you need more time.
- Fish is cooked when it is firm to the touch and turns light brown on the outside.
- Serve hot with tartar sauce or your favorite dipping sauce.
- If this increases what you will eat at one time, you can cool the fish and reheat it in the air fryer.
- You can use this recipe’s ingredients and cooking instructions Oven-cooked fish sticks of whole wheat and almonds To cook this in the oven without an air fryer. (Note that the recipe is not low carb, so be sure to use these ingredients for low carb fish sticks!)
The fish pieces I use will probably be about 6 ounces each, for a total of 1 1/2 pounds of fish, but the amount you use will be determined in part by the size of the Air Fryer basket, unless you don’t mind cooking in batches.
We loved this recipe with my own Super easy double dill tartar sauceThere are no judgments here if you prefer to buy only tartar sauce. Check the label though as some of the tartar sauce has added sugar. The nutritional information does not include tartar sauce.
First love ever zigged fish scrub (affiliate link) I use it anytime I’m cooking fish, but there are many brands of good fish rub that will work in this recipe. Use more or less, depending on how much tasting you want.)
Amount per service:
Calories: 473Total fat: 20 gramsSaturated fat: 3 gramsUnsaturated fats: 16 gramsCholesterol: 244 mgsodium: 290 mgcarbohydrates: 7 gramsthe basic: 4 gramssugar: 2 gramsprotein: 65 grams
Nutrition information is calculated automatically by the Recipe Plug-In I’m using. I am not a dietitian and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, as many variables affect these calculations.
Low Carb Diet / Low Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
Air Fryer Fish Sticks are a great dinner idea for low carb diet plans, including Keto. No almond flour is allowed in the first phase of the original South Beach Diet, but this would be great for other phases.
Find more recipes like these:
Uses Air fryer recipes or seafood recipes For more delicious fish dinner! use the Diet type indicator To find recipes suitable for a particular food plan. You may also like to check out Kalyn’s Kitchen on PinterestAnd the in Facebookor on instagram To see all the good recipes I share there.
We are participants in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliate sites. As an Amazon member, I earn from eligible purchases.